March 26, 2010

Closing a Door


















Several years ago a friendship ended. We spent all of our free time with them. We traveled together, shared in our happiness, our grief and our dreams. They were the Godparents of my child. I thought they would be in our lives forever...

When the friendship abruptly ended it was devastating to my entire family. I have since built a strong wall around me. I have received two emails from her recently. Facebook is a blessing and a curse all at the same time. I thought the doors were closed. I read the first message and chose not to reply. Todays message I replied to. I'm hoping that it will help her move on. I'm hoping I will finally move on. I guess during times of loss you are reminded of the other losses in your life.

She shared this quote on the bottom of her email. “We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry.” (Henry David Thoreau)

Truer words were never spoken.

7 comments:

simonne said...

Friendships are like seasons...they come and go. One cannot and should not try to hold unto one. Every season has its own beauty...like every friendship has its own joys ... when one has ended, we should look forward to the next one ...

Lynn Wheeler said...

I have to disagree. When I build a friendship I want it to last (like my marriage). The majority of my friendships are 20 plus years. They've had ups and downs...but all in all I treasure them. Sad that this one ended....but as I said....I closed the door.

simonne said...

Obviously...we do not have the same description of "friendship"...

Lynn Wheeler said...

Please don't focus on my one negative friendship....take comfort in the fact that I have a handful of beautiful friendships that I rely on.....take comfort from....share laughter with....share sorrow with. The negative was once beautiful too, but has ended and I am ok with it. My one bad experience has not tarnished the values I hold in friendship.

simonne said...

Good for you ,B ... you make more sense than your mother!!

The Perrys said...

That friendship served its purpose for the time it was intended. Don't look back, perpetually moving forward. I know you're in a better place for the life experiences you've had.
Besides, I've got your back in case you need it. :)

Lynn Wheeler said...

Thanks V :)