February 13, 2013

In Search of My Zen


I took advantage of a service that is available in our community. Mental Health has free acupuncture sessions available to those who wish give it a try. I have had acupuncture in the past and had a great experience with it. The only downside was that I had to travel a bit more than an hour to get to those appointments. Taking 3 hours out of my day each week was a pain in the butt and I didn't continue. You know how it is, there is always something else I could or should be doing. We tend to always put ourselves on the back burner, right? 

The picture above shows the 5 points that we received. Once everyone had their needles in, they lowered the lights and served a detox tea. The soft music was on and you remain quiet for about 30 minutes. This is where meditation comes in handy. I had one person sitting near me that doesn't do well with sitting still. She was rocking in her chair, shaking her knees, clearing her throat....I decided to shut my eyes and do a body scan. This is a Meditation Exercise that requires you to be more aware of the movement of energy through each part of your body, you start with your toes, then the base of your foot, your ankle, the calf, and continue on with each part of your body until you reach the top of your head. It helps you to focus and clear the mind. 

At the end of the session the 10 needles were removed and we had an option to have a seed placed in our ear at the Shen Men point. Ear acupuncture points may be stimulated for a longer period of time by using ear seeds. Ear seeds are small seeds from the raddish plant. These seeds are held in place on the ear with a small piece of adhesive tape. Ear seeds may be left in the ear for a few days or up to two weeks. Ear tacks are very small needles with an adhesive backing. Ear tacks are inserted into the ear and left in the ear for a few days or up to one week. You can press or stimulate the point with the seed. 

Bring on the peace vibe :) 

Namaste...

No comments: